Top Social

Last Year…

April 23, 2012

Romans 5:3-4
Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.

Last Year…

P4218071

This year…

P4041136

I recently met someone who asked me if I was Lucy Marlett’s mom.

“Why…yes, I am, I replied with pride.”

To which the person responded, “wasn’t she dying last year?”

“Umm…yes, I suppose you could say that.”

Not really sure how to respond, I then said politely, “aren’t we are all dying, some of us sooner rather than later.”

Lucy just happened to be born with mitochondrial disease, a disease for which there is no cure. She lives a life filled with extraordinary circumstances for which there are no guarantees, but then again whose life does?

This week we find ourselves reflecting more on the past year than usual, it was at this time last year that we were faced with the unthinkable, the possibility that Lucy may not survive. Her life and ours changed and have never been the same since. Although she survived what was feared she might not, she is by no means “better”, but any long time reader of this blog knows that. It is our daily challenge to live life in conjunction with these circumstances.

Her perseverance is inspiring, she is a fighter, determined to live life, not just exist, but live it! We fight so hard to live life because she does!

Post Comment
Franci said...

Well said Nicole and very moving...

Carrie said...

Wow, I can't imagine how you felt upon hearing that comment. You made an excellent point with your reply. I love Lucy's "Let''s Celebrate!" crown. It really makes you stop and think about how we need to appreciate what we have. Thank you for this invaluable message. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Jean Sullivan said...

So well said. We all ARE dying. The goal is to live for Jesus while we're still here, and I'd say Lucy is doing just that. God bless you and your family with endurance, patience and joy!

Unknown said...

She is so beautiful. I think of her often.