Top Social

Looking on the bright side…

July 13, 2009

P6093733

It happened again, the medical world completely sucked the happiness right out of me!  I know I would not be normal if I did not feel the things I have been feeling recently, but it is not in my nature to be so glum.  It has taken time to adjust to our new normal, and I am proud to say that we have established some sort of a routine once again.  I have been busy trying to establish this routine and have not been ignoring all of you, I  just needed some time to put things back together in our life.  In an effort to stay positive today I am going to look on the bright side of things!

P7104032

We have met the most amazing families this year!  I am in awe at the dedication that all of these families have to their medically complex children and their families.  I have been comforted, inspired, supported, educated, and truly blessed by these remarkable people.  We have been welcomed into a world that we knew existed by never had to live in until Lucy brought us there.  All who live in this world can relate to what we have or are experiencing and for that we are so grateful for being a part of this world.  Finding others who can truly relate to some of what we have been going through has been priceless, I bet Master Card would love to make a commercial out of our experience.  I can see it now-recent hospital bill $25,000.00,  special infant formula $65.00 a can, laboratory charges and medical tests somewhere in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, life experiences…priceless!

P6133909

Staying true to my word, I have been uplifted by many e-mails, phone calls, and the occasional greeting card mixed amongst the medical bills and insurance statements recently.  In the last few months I have had the honor of speaking with some long lost friends as well as some not so long or lost friends.  All of your words of wisdom, encouragement,  and kindness have helped us to get through some pretty difficult times recently!  We love hearing from you!  I know it may not be easy to talk to us at times, some of you have expressed concern that you don’t know what to say to us.   I’ m not sure I would know what to say to somebody in our position either, your love and support is all that matters, the rest is just semantics.

The world works in mysterious ways and no matter what, I love that we are living in this world.  I recently read a poem that struck a chord, thought I’d just post it here for all to read:

Heaven’s Very Special Child

A meeting was held quite far from earth
It's time again for another birth
Said the angel to the Lord above
This special child will need much love
His progress may be very slow
Accomplishments he may not show
And he'll require extra care
from the folks he meets down there
He may not run or laugh or play
His thoughts may seem quite far away
In many ways he won't adapt
And he'll be known as handicapped
So let's be careful where he's sent
We want his life to be content
Please Lord, find the parents who
Will do a special job for you
They'll not realize right away
The leading role they're asked to play
But with this child sent from above
Comes stronger faith and richer love
And soon they'll know the privileges given
In caring for their gift from heaven
Their precious charge, so meek and mild
Is "HEAVEN'S VERY SPECIAL CHILD"

- Author Unknown

 

Maybe we’d be a better Hallmark commercial ;)

Post Comment