Top Social

Who doesn’t have issues?

May 9, 2009

Agh, where did the week go?  It can’t already be Friday?  Now, I’m in no way complaining about it being Friday, it’s just that I thought I had all week to get to my mail, and mop the floor, fold the laundry, and sort the kids clothes …. Now it’s Friday afternoon and I’m sitting here typing this post with the mop literally right next to me, the washer and dryer going at full tilt, the mail piled up so high it resembles something of the leaning tower of Pizza, and oh, the kids clothes still in piles waiting to be sorted into what fits from last year and what needs to be packed away for the next child.  I guess I need to change my weekly to do list to a daily, make that  hourly, to do list if I’m ever going to get these things accomplished.  The alternative is what I have been doing, cramming it all in on a Friday afternoon. However, this Friday afternoon happens to be the first day in nine days that we haven’t had any rain.  Oh well that’s what you get for procrastinating.  Old habits die hard!

The week was fairly uneventful as far as doctors appointments go, yeah.  I stopped into our pediatrician's office yesterday to pick up Lucy’s most recent medical records and lab reports so I have then for our trip to Atlanta, and I also took the opportunity to pick her brain about a few things that we have been noticing with Lucy.  On a handful of occasions Lucy has had a whopping weight gain of nearly a pound over the course of a day.  Her belly gets distended and her face looks puffy, she is obviously retaining fluids, but why?  We noticed this at times when she was eating solids, but not always.  She appears uncomfortable and does not sleep well when this happens.  We experienced this again with her earlier in the week.  It came and went in about the same amount of time.  We are of course going to try and look for a pattern with her to see if we can detect a trend.  Lucy  was experiencing constipation issues again this week as well as this mystery bloating episode which made for a few wicked nights of sleep!  On top of those issues she could possibly be cutting another tooth.  I told the kids that mommy really wants a nap for Mother’s Day!

We had PT and Speech therapies on Wednesday this week and I always learn so much from these sessions.  We had a very interesting PT session outside this week.  The weather was cool and dreary, perfect for our baby who can’t tolerate the heat or the sun.  Lucy’s therapists are concerned that she is experiencing sensory issues.  Ok, I’m going to come right out and admit that I am probably in a bit of denial about this subject because I too probably have some sensory issues myself.  My biggest sensory issue would be that I can’t stand to hear my baby crying from something that is obviously an unpleasant experience!   Lucy does not like to be set down in the grass, have strange feeling things in her hands, or touch her feet on the ground.  So guess what, we avoid these situations to keep her happy.  She will put her feet on the ground if she chooses to, she does pick up objects that are stuck to our kitchen floor but not outside on the driveway, and she will try as hard as she possibly can to not  touch the grass!  Apparently, we need to encourage her to try new things.  I talked with our pediatrician about this subject and she agreed that babies like Lucy that have neuromuscular issues tend to have sensory issues.  Just another thing…

In an effort to wrap this post up I am just going to jot down a few random thoughts:

  • We are leaving for Atlanta on Monday evening, May 18th. We have decided to drive down instead of fly, mainly because it will be less stressful on all of us.  Basically it boiled down to this,  driving twelve hours with a cranky baby is way less stressful than flying three hours with a screaming baby!
  • Next week we are going to experience a marathon week of music nights!  All of the kids have a music night next week.  I think we are going to be eating a lot of sandwiches for dinner.
  • We had to have a double toilet bowl funeral for our new fish this morning.   Two of them went belly up over night, not sure what is going on?  We do however,  still have one survivor.
  • I must confess that I did not finish all my jobs today because we went to the park and played outside most of the day.  I did get the floor mopped.  Some things can wait while some children can not!
  • Our kids are very tired this week and so are their parents.
  • The letter “t” on my keyboard is acting funky.  It is slow to respond, how frustrating!
  • Megan is trying to teach Sophie to ride a two wheeler every time I turn my back on those two.  Yikes, I need Drew to find and put on the training wheels for the little red bike this weekend!
  • Lucy signed the word for milk/nursing yesterday, yeah!  She is also a very eager hand clapper now!
  • Jack took a nap when he came home form school today, what’s up with that?  Whenever this has happened he has come down with something.   Although he is acting fine, was just tired.
  • Drew and I started a movie last weekend and are hoping to finish it tonight, I bet we last ten minutes tops before one of the two of us falls asleep.

This is just a few of the things things that I can think of tonight.  Hope all is well in your houses!Nov 1, 2008 to Mar 25, 2009 1021

Post Comment