Top Social

Thursday…

September 30, 2011

I am at the point in this admission where I just want to go home…I have found, for me, that there is that point in every admission where you just want to go home, today I hit that point.  I remember Dr. R telling me last year that you need to take a break from here in order to make it through a longer than a week admission, he has no scientific proof of his theory, just a lot of personal experience.  My break has come in the form of friendship and support from some fellow mito moms and the wonderful nursing staff that take care of us while we are here…I just love it when God places the right people in your life at just the right time.

We learned today that Lucy’s allergic reaction to Vancomycin, the antibiotic we are using to treat Lucy’s infection, increased.  She has become more sensitive to the med than she used to be, and developed a more severe case of red man’s syndrome.  Her heart rates and blood pressures were elevated, she turned a blotchy bright red, and she began aspirating her saliva all in a matter of minutes of administering the med…here I have been thinking that she just looked rosie from her blood transfusion.  In addition to IV  Benadryl, we added IV Tylenol to treat the red mans as well as slow down the already slow infusion rate to run over two and a half hours.   Nobody knows why exactly the Tylenol helps to counteract the red mans, but it is helping. 

We are on “auto pilot”  until Monday according to Dr. R.  We are scheduled in surgery Monday afternoon, that is if Lucy’s cultures are negative…so far no growth.  Dr. R signed out for the next week as he is off to Haiti for a medical missions trip…when he left he gave orders to Lucy to “behave”. 

Drew and I are working on trying to rearrange our beach vacation…we really need to get away!  Hopefully, we can figure something out, we have not told the kids yet that we are not going this weekend…I don’t want to tell them until we have plans B through Z in place. 

Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers, love and support.   We could not do this alone!

Post Comment